This activity is designed to support smallholder coffee producers, processors, traders and their organisations to improve: productivity; quality with focus on specialty and traceable coffees; value chain development; and trade transparency through public-private-partnership dialogues to increase income shares of stakeholders and to enable Ethiopia to gain more from coffee trade. Also meant to pilot the registration of some Ethiopian coffees through Geographic Indications (GIs); install and operationalise information technology systems; and establish interactive extension management and market information systems.
Project's expected outputs are:
- improved extension services delivery for increased productivity, quality and processing;
- improved farmers' access to high quality inputs and technologies;
- increased availability of processing and grading capabilities for high quality coffees and increased flow ofmarket information;
- integration of innovative solutions and technologies from research for higher yield and high quality;
- establish and capacitate functional strategic public-private stakeholders' coordination and dialogue platforms;and
- strengthening the federal and regional coffee authorities' planning and management capacities for proper project implementation and compliance to requirements of EU financed grant contracts (operational and financial).
The TL is mainly tasked with the overall responsibility of assisting the PCU at all levels and the PSC with the support of key experts 2 and 3 and other non-key experts. He /She is expected to maintain close working relationship with various actors in the project.
Qualifications and skills
- At least a postgraduate degree preferably MBA, MSc or equivalent from a accredited university in Agricultural marketing, Agro-economics, Business Administration, or Business law
- Excellent team management, administrative, reporting, and communications skills,
- Fluent in English (understanding, speaking, writing)
- Demonstrated knowledge of EU/EDF procedures
- A natural leader with demonstrated experience and proven track record of leading multi-cultural and multi- disciplinary team and robust analytical and quantitative skills, and
- Outstanding ability to work independently, flexibly and responsively, and
- Strong analytical, communication, presentation and writing skills
General professional experience
- A minimum of 10 years progressive hands-on professional experience on coffee value chain of which at least 5 years as a team leader of similar projects in a developing country / countries (Africa, Asia, and / or Central America)
Specific professional experience
- Thorough knowledge of coffee supply chain and international trade
- Relevant experience in data handling analysis GI and cartography for agricultural monitoring and statistics
- Demonstrated ability to effectively coordinate a large multi-Stakeholder project with results-based management
- In-Depth knowledge of and strong skills in trade negations relevant to WTO and TRIPS
- Proven ability in project cycle management and EDF Action grants management procedures
- Strong computer literacy, including MS Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Abel to adapt to changing working environments, prioritize and meet deadlines,
- Experience working at a top-tier consulting firm, coffee R&D, and or marketing institution or similar preferred
The project office is based at the head quarter of ECTDMA in Addis Ababa and is implemented in 28 Woredas of Oromia, SNNP and Amhara regions as well as Jimma Agricultural research Centre (JARC) and affiliated sub-centers including regional and federal agricultural research centers doing research on coffee in collaboration with co-applicants. In addition to the TA teams main office in Addis Ababa, there will be satellite offices at the head offices of the beneficiary regions and JARC, as deemed necessary.
The intended start date is January 06, 2020 and the period of implementation of the contract will be 42 months from this date.