The project’s objective is the sustainable management of the perimeter’s soil and water resources. The project comprises three components:
- Component 1: Infrastructure
- Component 2: Supervision of work (i.e. lot 1)
- Component 3: Accompanying measures and project management (i.e. lot 2)
While component 1 is implemented by local construction companies, component 2 (lot 1) and component 3 (lot 2) are part of the consultants' contract.
Lot 1 focusses on quality assurance and the supervision of all construction works within the perimeter: water supply network, filters, distribution network, boundary marks, irrigation plots, and the networks of drainage and of feeder roads.
Lot 2 referring to the implementation of accompanying works and project management, consists of two parts:
- Support to agricultural water user associations (WUA) during all planning and implementation phases for the purpose of capacity development.
- Logistical and technical support to the Provincial Agriculture Directorate with regard to WUA enhancement, irrigation economics, monitoring and evaluation, and the future water pricing system.