The project is implemented through NGOs, supported by a Project Support Unit (PSU), which works under the direct supervision of the Delegation of the European Union and in close collaboration with State governments. Apart from NGOs and the public agricultural extension staff, Agricultural Research Centers (ARC) in each State are another main implementing partner.
The overall objective is to contribute to improved food security in the Republic of Sudan and the specific objective is to increase the productivity and income for rural smallholders.
Improved practices and techniques for rain-fed farming applied
- Guide NGOs, ARCs and public extension staff in the development of an Action Plan for each State, which details the crops and livelihood activities that the programme will focus on and support them in the production of an Extension Manual which includes various extension packages, in line with the identified crops and livelihood activities.
- Provide formal and on-the-job extension training to ARC and extension staff.
- Strengthen the relationship between ARCs, extension workers and farmers through on-farm action research and Farmer Field Schools.
- Support the design of extension delivery mechanisms which are institutionally and financially sustainable and include the private sector.
- Oversee and monitor the implementation of extension packages.
Appropriate inputs and technologies for income-generating activities (IGAs) available and used
- Define required inputs and technologies according to the defined extension packages.
- Assist in the development and introduction of appropriate and affordable technologies for additional income generating activities which facilitate the generation of added value (shelling, pressing, drying etc.) and increased labor productivity (weeders, seeders etc.).
- Establish and implement a voucher mechanism for inputs, in close cooperation with farmers and the private sector.
Increased access and use of services (financial services, traders, etc.)
- Based on a supply chain analysis, strengthen the capacity of NGOs and actors of the private and public sector in their ability to provide agricultural extension and input services.
- Assist NGOs to partner up with the government and the private sector.
- Assist the EU Delegation in the launch and follow-up of grant contracts (Euro 10 Mio. in grants) in complete conformity with EDF administrative, legal and financial procedures.
- Provide technical, procedural and administrative support to NGOs in drafting project proposals and the implementation of grant contracts according to EDF procedures.
- Conduct regular monitoring missions and liaise closely with the EU Delegation and concerned Ministerial Staff at both federal and State level.
- Prepare and organize periodic meetings of the steering and technical committee as well as annual planning meetings at State level and support the visibility and publicity of the project and the dissemination of lessons learned.