The Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture (BMEL) promotes cooperation with third countries in the areas of food and agriculture through its Bilateral Cooperation Programme (BCP).
On the occasion of the Global Forum for Food and Agriculture (GFFA) 2020 and within the framework of bilateral talks between the Brazilian Minister of Agriculture, Livestock and Food Supply and the German Federal Minister of Food and Agriculture, a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on the implementation of a German-Brazilian Agricultural Policy Dialogue (APD) was signed on 18 January 2020.
The political partner in Brazil is the Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Food Supply (MAPA).
Within the framework of a 14-month preliminary phase, the essential working structures and procedures of the ODA, its working instruments as well as a detailed operational plan for the topics to be dealt with in a possible implementation phase in years 2 and 3 (for 22 months) are to be worked out first.
The envisaged preliminary phase aims at developing a joint working structure and identifying and shaping the thematic areas for the implementation of a German-Brazilian Agricultural Policy Dialogue.
The agricultural policy dialogue is intended to deepen mutual understanding of the agricultural and food sector, improve the exchange of information on regulations and standards as they apply to the agricultural sector, and intensify the exchange of statistical and technical data. In addition, partnerships between German and Brazilian actors in the agri-food industry are to be promoted.
The Long-term expert must be familiar with the political environment, agricultural with the political environment, agricultural production/processing and the trade system and have strong communication and technical public relations skills.
- Support the senior specialist in the performance of his/her duties
- Organise and support short-term experts in their scientific work
- Liaison with representatives of the Brazilian agricultural policy institutional network
- Liaison with representatives of the Brazilian agribusiness network and other relevant civil society actors
- Initiation of contacts with relevant scientific institutions, think tanks, NGOs and international organisations for proactive programme design
- Supporting the creation of the actor map
- Collecting and interpreting information relevant to the project
- Supporting the establishment and development of a digital M&E system
- Public relations and communication
Necessary minimum requirements / exclusion criteria
- Completed university studies (Master's degree or equivalent)
- Several years (three years or more) of professional experience in a public, civil society, scientific or private institution in the agricultural sector
- Very good knowledge of the Portuguese language and at least a good knowledge of written and spoken English
Other qualifications / experience that will be positively considered in the evaluation process (an advantage)
- Knowledge of the institutional environment of Brazilian agricultural policy and the agribusiness landscape of Brazil
- Experience in communication and public relations
- Experience of working in an international environment
- University degree in agricultural sciences, political science, international relations or equivalent Regional expertise and language skills
- Professional experience in Germany or the EU as well as in Brazil
- Written and spoken German
- Experience in the preparation of studies / recommendations for action
- Intercultural communication and networking skills
- Experience in politically sensitive contexts
- Experience in the field of impact-oriented monitoring
The duration of the preliminary phase is 14 months. It is expected to start in April 2021.