The overall objective is to
- increase agricultural sustainable production and productivity and;
- improve competitiveness of the agri-food sector in local and international markets;
- enhance enabling environment for sustainable and private–sector led agriculture and value chain development; and
- increase aid-effectiveness in agricultural sector and across the agricultural value chains as well as increase overall coordination between agriculture-related programmes.
In the framework of the above overall objectives, the purpose of the contract is to provide technical assistance to the Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL) of the GoA to improve its capacity for sustainable development of the agriculture and value chains overall.
The expert will review jointly with MAIL senior staff available reports and recommendations on institutional reform and organizational functions in all areas of project activities. He will provide neutral and impartial advices to MAIL senior management on institutional and organizational reforms.
Qualifications and skills
- Minimum a university degree in social sciences, socio-economics, agricultural economics, public/business administration or any other related field.
- The expert should be fluent in English (written and spoken).
General professional experience
- Minimum 10 years working experience as executive in public and private sectors with a focus on organizational development and institutional building related to the agriculture sector. The expert should have experience in different developing countries, with at least one year experience in Fragile States.
- Experience in another relevant connected field would be an advantage.
Specific professional experience
The expert should have specific experience in the following areas:
- Minimum 5 years’ experience working with international organizations on project monitoring and evaluation;
- Knowledge of Institutional/Organizational Development with experience as management consultant/policy adviser,
- Experience in institutional, policy and planning development or other related fields;
- Knowledge of adult learning methodology and capacity building experience within the public sector, including experience in areas such as capacity assessment, curricula development, course organization, problem based (and not only content based) training, and training impact evaluations;
- Understanding of the principles underpinning capacity building in the context of Afghanistan is an asset;
- Ability to develop manuals and guidelines to institutionalize best practices in capacity building;
- Demonstrated ability to organize and facilitate stakeholder and focus group meetings;
- Familiarity the EU contractual obligations is an asset;
- Knowledge of best practices in monitoring development strategies is an asset;
- Experience of leading a team at least during two years on a project;
- He/she should demonstrate excellent communication and facilitation skills, with highly desirable (above working experience with extensive training / components), as well as training, capacity building and interpersonal skills including diplomacy, tact, and the ability to negotiate and build consensus;
- Experience in Afghanistan or Central-Asia countries would be an advantage;
- Knowledge of Dari and/or Pashtu would be an advantage.
The Contractor will be permanently based in Kabul within the premises of MAIL compound in Kabul. The Contractor will also have access to all MAIL premises relevant for the project implementation. The operational base for the Project corresponds to Kabul, whereas the Contractor will ensure regular travels to the target regions and provinces, depending on whether the security conditions permit. The intended start date is 15 December 2020 and the period of implementation of the contract will be 36 months from this date.