The "Enhancing the Competitiveness of Small and Medium Size Enterprises project (ECOS)" in Uganda aims to increase the competitiveness of 1,000 Ugandan SMEs with the overall goal of creating employment and improving the employment situation of workers through increased income, secured jobs, and improved working conditions.
Tasks of the Team Leader:
- Overall responsible for the implementation of all project activities and outputs, while reporting to the officer responsible for the commission at GIZ.
- Responsible for checking the use of funds and financial planning in consultation with the officer responsible for the commission at GIZ.
- Support the officer responsible for the E4D Uganda portfolio in updating and/or adapting the project strategy, in evaluations and in preparing a follow-on phase in consultation with the officer responsible for the E4D Uganda portfolio.
- Ensure the coherence and complementarity of the contractor’s services with other services delivered by the project at both the national level and international level.
- Design, implement, monitor, and evaluate capacity development measures for local partners and consultants in the following areas: quality management, market development, business diagnostics, innovation management, digitalization, and financial management.
- Take cross-cutting themes into consideration (for example, gender equality, environmental safeguards).
- Manage staff, identify the need for short-term assignments within the available budget, planning, and managing the assignments and support local and international experts.
- Ensure that the project monitoring procedures are carried out.
- Report regularly in accordance with deadlines.
- Leverage private sector contributions for the project.
- Act as the main contact person for project beneficiaries.
- Liaise and coordinate project activities with all relevant stakeholders such as partners and industry associations in Uganda.
- Education/Training: Master's Degree in any of these fields: Project Management, Business Administration, Human Resources Management, Development Economics and Innovation Management.
- Languages: Knowledge of English, C2 in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages
- General professional experience: 10 years of professional experience in working in Small and Medium Enterprises (SME) development projects.
- Specific professional experience: 3 projects regarding SME development training and coaching with the responsibility of one person-month or more; 1 project in the field of supporting SME to access finance opportunities with the responsibility of one person-month or more; 2 projects in designing and implementing a business diagnostic to analyse strength and weaknesses of businesses with the responsibility of one person-month or more.
- Leadership/management experience: 5 years of management/leadership experience as project team leader or manager in a company
- Regional experience: 10 years of professional experience in Uganda
- Development cooperation (DC) experience: 5 years of experience working on international development cooperation projects.
- Other : 2 International projects in the last 10 years with clearly defined roles and responsibilities in financial management.
Project duration: 2 years; input: 250 working days