The Goal of the Project is Sustainable approaches to broad-based soil conservation and rehabilitation supported.
Activities to be provided
► Situation analysis and selection of pilot areas
Identify and analyse relevant stakeholders in the three pilot counties
- Organize kick-off workshop at county level;
- Identify and analyse stakeholders in soil conservation issues and their networks;
Conduct study analysing the use of resources in selected watersheds
- Collect and analyse relevant secondary data;
- Collect primary data (production systems, cropping patterns, soil quality) in selected villages;
- Summarise results in the form of a report.
Analyse and select intervention areas for cooperation
- Rank watersheds and choose priority areas;
- Conduct participatory planning workshops at the communal level;
- Sign and announce cooperation agreements.
- Support target groups in planning of soil conservation measures
► Support WRUA and other stakeholders at watershed level in planning soil conservation strategies
- Plan organisational framework and invite stakeholders to the planning process;
- Conduct strategy workshops; and
- Develop and validate strategy for integrated soil fertility management at watershed level.
Agree on specific actions for integrated soil fertility management
- Invite suitable intermediary organizations (government, NGOs, private sector) to the planning process;
- Conduct planning workshops; and
- Develop action plans and agreed on support to be provided by facilitators.
Define processes for implementing the action plan
- Define stakeholder responsibilities;
- Set timeframes and resources for implementation (plans of operations); and
- Institutionalize local bodies for management and monitoring.
►Advise and support implementation of joint soil conservation measures
Support target groups in planning and implementing community soil conservation and rehabilitation investments