The general objective of the Revival of Balochistan Water Resources Programme is to contribute to the transition of agriculture and livestock farming systems in Balochistan (Pakistan) achieving lower water intensity and improving environmental and economic sustainability. The overall total budget for the programme is EUR 40000 000.
The programme will be implemented through two separate implementing contracts working closely together under a project steering committee.
The technical assistance provided through this service contract will contribute to these three project’s specific objectives:
- Strengthened governance of water resources and Rangelands;
- Alternative agricultural and livestock farming systems developed based on low water agro-economy, including agronomic practices leading to groundwater replenishment;
- Increased availability of qualified agro-technology cadres able to integrate and provide on- farm technical know-how and climate-relevant advise to farmers
The purposes of this contract are as follows:
- To strengthen governance of water resources and rangelands in Balochistan.
- To develop alternative agricultural and livestock farming systems based on low water agro-economy, including agronomic practices leading to groundwater replenishment.
- To increase availability of qualified agro-technology cadres able to integrate and provide on-farm technical know-how and climate-relevant advise to farmers.
The Team Leader will be responsible for the overall project implementation, coordination and supervision of other key experts and non-key experts. S/He shall be based in Quetta, with frequent missions in the rest of the province and occasional missions to Islamabad and the rest of the country.
The minimum percentage of time that the Key expert 1 should work in the partner country is 85 %. The Team Leader will be the primary point of contact for the EU Delegation and the government of Balochistan.
The Team Leader’s direct involvement in specific result areas will depend upon his/her experience and will be defined in the Organisation & Methodology to be proposed by the Contractor.
Qualifications and skills
- A Bachelor degree, or equivalent, in public policy and administration or in a discipline related to agricultural development or natural resource management. (MR)
- A Postgraduate diploma (Master degree) and/or specific trainings directly related to governance of natural resources will be an added advantage (PR)
- Full working knowledge of English and excellent report writing skills (MR).
General professional experience
- At least 10 years' professional experience relevant to the post (MR), among which:
- At least 10 years’ professional experience in least developed countries, low or lower-middle income countries1 (MR).
- At least 5 years’ experience as Team Leader implementing capacity development projects with government authorities (MR). Higher number of years of experience will be taken into consideration in the evaluation of the candidate.
- Professional experience in volatile security environments (PR).
- Experience of EU funded programmes, especially in the implementation of these programmes, is an advantage though not considered essential (PR).
Specific professional experience
The specific professional experiences presented by the candidates can fall, if relevant, within the same period covered by the general professional experience.
- At least 5 years' experience in one or more of the following areas: public sector reform and capacity building, institutional development, support to local authorities, territorial development, participatory management of natural resources, designing and implementing of government monitoring & evaluation schemes, government planning & budgeting (MR).
- At least once previous professional assignment in political economy analysis, policy development and/or policy formulation in a field related to agricultural development or natural resource management (MR).
- Key Expert 1 should be familiar with the latest developments in the field of natural resources management, including agro-ecological approaches (PR).
- Experience in leading policy dialogue and development partners coordination (PR).
- Experience in the design, management or implementation of large-scale socioeconomic surveys/research (PR).
- Experience in drafting ToR for assignments and oversight of technical assistance (PR).
- Experience in the Monitoring and Evaluation of the impact of economic development programmes and policies (PR
The Technical Assistance Team will be based in Quetta, with frequent field trips for all experts to the different districts of the Balochistan Province and to Islamabad.
Start date & period of implementation
The intended start date is 1st April 2022, and the period of implementation of the contract will be 48 months from this date.