Agriculture & Finance Consultants GmbH (AFC) is a private German consulting firm focusing on agriculture/agribusiness and financial sector development projects in developing and transition countries (https://www.afci.de/). We employ 55 permanent staff members at our headquarters in Bonn/Germany and on average contract 50 long-term and more than 730 short-term consultants throughout the year implementing projects for various donor organizations (e.g. EIB, KfW, GIZ, World Bank, AFD, EBRD). In 2007, AFC became a member of GOPA Consulting Group, Germany's largest group of consulting firms in development cooperation.
Objective of Project
AFC is preparing the tender documents for the EIB ACP Smallholder Financing Facility (Uganda/ Cote D’Ivoire).
The EIB has put in place a number of Facilities to cover the financial needs of MSEs in Africa through approved local Financial Intermediaries (FIs). The ACP Smallholder Financing Facility is one of these Facilities, but with a focus on smallholder farmers and micro and small agri-food businesses as Final Beneficiaries (FBs). The approved amount of the Facility is EUR 25 million and is to be channelled to FBs via 3 local, individually assessed microfinance institutions (MFIs). The TA Programme will complement the Facility in order to allow successful implementation.
AFC is currently managing two similar EIB Technical Assistance projects in East Africa and in Eastern Europe with a focus on MSME finance. For further information please visit http://www.ta-eca.eu/ .
Scope of Work
In relation to the responsibilities of Team Leader, Key expert 1 (KE1) shall be responsible for the delivery of all services and deliverables under this contract. The Team Leader shall be responsible for coordinating and validating Technical Assistance initiatives with the MFIs and Final Beneficiaries. The Team Leader will be responsible for coordinating and overseeing the deliverables of key experts and non-key experts (including quality control) and collating mission briefs and reports for inclusion into Project Reports.
- Masters’ Degree in a relevant field (Business Administration, Agriculture, Economics, Finance, Banking, etc.) or equivalent;
- Fluency in written and spoken English is essential. Working knowledge of Swahili or native Ugandan languages would be an advantage; additionally;
- Computer literacy including ability to use the advanced functions of MS office to create reports and customised spreadsheets for financial analysis and reporting purposes.
- In-depth knowledge of microfinance and agricultural lending, for example credit and financial analysis, identification of key lending risks, risk mitigation and management, non-performing loan management, and participation in the drafting of loan contracts as evidenced by 7 years’ experience (within the last 15 years) with a microfinance/agricultural lending/MSE finance provider or by providing TA to financial service providers, including in the area of agricultural lending;
- Understanding of agricultural sector finance and value chains, smallholder farming, and relevant crop and livestock production cycles and systems, as evidenced by 3 years of relevant experience;
- Practical experience and proven track record of being a key (team) member in the successful capacity building of 3 MFIs (of which 2 assignments should have been related to improving agricultural lending) including conducting needs assessments, development of training/coaching plans, development of curricula and training materials, organisation and delivery of trainings;
- Relevant professional experience in Sub-Saharan Africa is an asset (delivering capacity building projects to MFIs or working for an inclusive financial services provider);
- Experience of working with smallholder farmers as evidenced by 2 years’ work experience with a strong exposure to these clients;
- Experience of database management and/or working with or implementing modern banking technologies for microfinance institutions would be an advantage;
- Previous experience of assisting financial institutions to improve their social performance/achieve SMART certification and knowledge of the USSPM would be an advantage.