The overall objective is to
- increase agricultural sustainable production and productivity and;
- improve competitiveness of the agri-food sector in local and international markets;
- enhance enabling environment for sustainable and private–sector led agriculture and value chain development; and
- increase aid-effectiveness in agricultural sector and across the agricultural value chains as well as increase overall coordination between agriculture-related programmes.
In the framework of the above overall objectives, the purpose of the contract is to provide technical assistance to the Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL) of the GoA to improve its capacity for sustainable development of the agriculture and value chains overall.
The Team leader will be responsible for the overall project implementation. He will have the responsibilities for the delivery of the requested services listed in section 4.2. He will support the overall planning, management and implementation of the project. As the senior project representative, the incumbent serves as the technical and administrative supervisor of all project activities. Other responsibilities envisioned include, but is not necessarily limited to:
- Maintaining relations with senior MAIL management, MoF and the EU;
- Coordinating project activities with senior MAIL leadership and representatives of other donor-funded technical assistance and capacity building across the Ministry;
- Act as a resource person to international best practices on all aspects of project Implementation for the resident teams;
- Provide advice and instructions on all aspects of project implementation as required;
- Ensuring timely project implementation, monitoring activities against a results framework, managing project staff and subsidiaries;
- Monitor the managerial, administration and financial aspects of the project;
- Ensuring the project’s financial accountability and financial reporting;
- Regular reporting to the Contracting Authority and the EU delegation on project progress and possible issues limiting the attainment of planned project outputs.
Qualifications and skills
- Master’s Degree and minimum a University degree in agriculture or a relevant discipline related to the purpose of the project, or equivalent working experience of 10 years in conflict and post conflict countries managing project in agriculture and/or institutional reform
- The expert should be fluent in English (written and spoken).
General professional experience
- Preferably 15 years of experience with a minimum of 10 years in management of similar agricultural/rural development projects in different developing countries, with at least one experience in Fragile States.
Specific professional experience
- A minimum of 5 years in senior management position or team leader in development projects including policy review, formulation and institutional reforms in the agricultural sector;
- A minimum of 5 years field experience in planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of projects related to public sector reform;
- Familiarity with EU regulation and procedures is an asset;
- He/she should demonstrate excellent communication and facilitation skills, with highly desirable (above working experience with extensive training / components), as well as training, capacity building and interpersonal skills including diplomacy, tact, and the ability to negotiate and build consensus;
- Experience in Afghanistan or Central-Asia countries would be an advantage;
The Contractor will be permanently based in Kabul within the premises of MAIL compound in Kabul. The Contractor will also have access to all MAIL premises relevant for the project implementation. The operational base for the Project corresponds to Kabul, whereas the Contractor will ensure regular travels to the target regions and provinces, depending on whether the security conditions permit. The intended start date is 15 December 2020 and the period of implementation of the contract will be 36 months from this date.