The Asian Development Bank (ADB) requires the services of a consulting firm with specific expertise in health security and One Health approaches to provide capacity development and advisory support in the implementation of the regional technical assistance (TA) on Strengthening Regional Health Cooperation in the Greater Mekong Subregion (GMS).
The TA is aligned with the following impacts: healthy lives ensured and well-being for all at all ages promoted (Sustainable Development Goal 3). Its outcome will be regional health cooperation in GMS strengthened, expected to be achieved through the following outputs:
- GMS working group on health cooperation functioning,
- GMS health cooperation strategy developed and implemented, and
- Knowledge development and exchange promoted.
On 7 February 2020, the TA was expanded to include:
- a rapid response to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak in the People’s Republic of China (PRC), and
- scaling up support to the GMS to implement a One Health response to public health threats through strengthened regional cooperation. The additional support targeting the PRC will
- develop recommendations for improved outbreak investigation and response in live animal markets,
- develop recommendations for outbreak surveillance and response in rural areas, and
- strengthen the health systems' resilience and capacity for epidemic response.
The specialist will conduct research and compile government policies and procedures on animal health, collect data, and ensure that the work produced meets national and regional needs on regional health security, specifically on One Health. Specific tasks shall include, but not limited to:
- Collect information on existing institutional arrangements for preventing and controlling major animal diseases in the PRC and the GMS, particularly in live animal markets in collaboration with the human health sector;
- Organize and participate in regional and national workshops and seminars on monitoring animal diseases and assessing risks, and provide technical inputs to workshops including presentations on prevention, surveillance, and control of animal diseases;
- Help organize training and seminars that include international experts to discuss and recommend policies and steps for prevention and control of animal diseases using One Health approaches in the GMS-region and PRC;
- For the PRC, produce guidelines for effective outbreak investigation and response in live animal markets and in rural areas using One Health approaches;
- Participate in and present the multisectoral frameworks in TA workshops; and
- Conduct other tasks assigned by the ADB project team and the team leader.
The specialist should preferably have
- A postgraduate degree in animal health and epidemiology or other relevant fields
- A good command of the English language
- A minimum of 7 years’ professional experience in animal disease control
- Experience in implementing TA projects of epidemiological training financed by international organization in the and the GMS-region and PRC is desirable.