The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (the EBRD) aims at addressing climate risks in Egypt by establishing a Facility entitled Green Economy Financing Facility in Egypt II (“GEFF Egypt II” or “the Facility”). The Facility will continue its activities successfully implemented under the European Union (EU) supported GEFF Egypt (energy efficiency and renewable energy) and will extend them to climate change adaptation measures (including resource efficiency) ensuring gender-responsiveness and including activities promoting the uptake by women sub-borrowers, as well as policy dialogue. The Facility will also extend its support to implementation of energy improvements in residential and commercial buildings.
The Facility is closely aligned to the country’s national sustainable development strategy and implementation plans, and will complement the government’s efforts in scaling up private sector investment for a competitive, green and inclusive economy.
The Facility also aims to achieve a balanced geographical distribution of green economy investments within Egypt – in both urban and rural locations – by leveraging the wide branch networks of PFIs - and will raise awareness in underserved customer segments, particularly women-led businesses, about green technologies and help improve their access to green finance.
In this context, GEFF Egypt II will provide financing of up to EUR150 million that will be on lent by the local Participating Financial Institutions (PFI) to finance energy efficiency (“EE”), renewable energy (“RE”) and resource efficiency (“RES”) sub-projects in Egypt. This will promote EBRD’s Green Economy Transition (“GET”) approach in Egypt, a country with a strong need to diversify its energy supply and tackle resource inefficiency, specifically in water and waste management and soil protection. The local PFIs will be strong partners in fostering a more active green finance ecosystem in the country.
- Support to PFIs in development of a pipeline through marketing and project origination activities leading to a portfolio of EUR 150 million of eligible sub-loans for financing by PFIs;
- Providing training and capacity building to PFIs, including e-Learning activities, helping them to build an internal capacity for sustainable green landing;
- Support to SMEs in preparing and developing their sub-projects for financing by PFIs;
- Providing gender-responsive capacity building and training to PFI staff and local experts as required;
- Raising awareness of green economy lending in Egypt among women and men led subborrowers as required; and
- Awareness raising on the Facility outcomes through various communication channels, dissemination of case studies on successfully implemented projects and providing donor visibility.
- Preferably 15 years’ of previous professional experience in project management;
- International technical experience in industrial/agricultural/building/residential/corporate EE and/or RE including related EE and RE financing schemes;
- Expertise in project implementation planning;
- Fluent spoken and written English is essential; and
- Knowledge of Arabic language would be an advantage.
The Assignment is expected to start in January 2020 and has an estimated overall duration of 48 months.