IAIDP, a sector project, will increase agricultural value added by improving irrigation and strengthening agricultural value chains in three regions of Myanmar's central dry zone (CDZ). It will support the development of district-wide agricultural value chains and the modernization of irrigation systems in Magway district of the Magway region, Shwebo district of the Sagaing region, and Meiktila and Yamethin districts in the Mandalay region during a 7-year implementation period.
The irrigation system rehabilitation and modernization component will cover about 90,000 acres (36,400 ha). The Project will also strengthen capacity for integrated water resources management (IWRM) at the township, regional and national levels.
The Team Leader / Agroeconomist - Value Chain Development Specialist will
- Act as Team Leader in planning and implementing the study, giving guidance to the team of specialists in the implementation of their Terms of Reference;
- Work closely with the PAU and PMU and coordinate closely with the other consultant teams;
- Be responsible for collaboratively developing a methodology for operationalization of FCs, Good Agricultural Practices and associated activities with DOA, DAR and AMD counterparts under Project output 1;
- In a participatory processes with irrigated and rainfed farmers, contribute and provide support to the extension services and value chain specialist(s) in analyzing existing strengths and weaknesses within the value chain of each product grown or desired to be grown and prioritize the products for phased implementation during the investment project period;
- Review all available modalities for financing for the SME‟s in agribusiness, agro-processing and marketing both in government and private sectors;
- Support the Good agricultural practices specialist in i) environmentally friendly, climate-smart and economically feasible technologies and approaches for sustainable agricultural outcomes in the central dry zone and ii) support crop diversification and promotion of extensive non-rice crop productions that have much higher water productivity and of good agricultural practices which are appropriate to the CDZ, especially with regards to Climate Smart Agriculture (CSA);
- Ensure quality of the outputs and timely completion of the tasks
The Team Leader / Agroeconomist - Value Chain Development Specialist (international) should have
- A master's degree or equivalent qualification in agronomy or agro-economics;
- A significant expertise in agriculture value chain development and in climate smart agriculture;
- A minimum of 10 years professional, post-graduate experience;
- Demonstrated experience in managing diverse teams, preferably as part of internationally-supported projects or programs that have worked closely with government agencies in Myanmar or other Asian countries in agriculture value chain development, irrigation and/or similar social sectors;
- Experience in project management with regards to administrative and reporting matters and (vi) excellent communication skills in written and spoken English;
- A working knowledge of donor-funded requirements.
The indicative time schedule for the implementation of services is 60 calendar months it is expected to start in January 2020.