Agriculture and a diversified rural economy play a key role in the Ethiopian economy. Currently, agriculture employs about two-thirds of the total population and contributes about one-third of the gross domestic product (manufacturing industries about 25 %, service sector about 40 %). As a result of difficult access to technical and entrepreneurial advisory services, modern inputs, modern mechanisation and financing opportunities, most smallholder farmers in Ethiopia work with outdated technologies and are only marginally productive.
Despite initial successes in the implementation of AGTP II, the national Ministry of Agriculture and the national organisations involved are not yet sufficiently capable of implementing a private sector-oriented agricultural policy based on the value chain approach, as well as favourable
framework conditions for the commercialisation of smallholder farmers and for the growth of upstream and downstream agro-industries. In addition, the implementation of support measures at regional level is not yet sufficiently geared to the needs and potentials of smallholder farmers and MSMEs in the agricultural and food sector. As a result, income and employment potentials along rural value chains remain unused (core problem). The TC module aims to improve the income and employment situation of actors in agricultural value chains in selected rural regions (module objective).
Tasks of the expert:
- Design and implementation of an "Agricultural Investment Climate Survey" in close cooperation with the cooperating organisation;
- Strengthening of the public-private dialogue in the area of "Improving the framework conditions for private sector activities in the agricultural sector".
Qualifications of the professional.
- University degree (Diplom/Master) in the field of economics or social sciences; agricultural sciences.
- English, C1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages;
- 15 years of professional experience in the sector of policy advice or/and ESC promotion or/and private sector promotion;
- 7 years of professional experience in the field of public-private dialogue promotion, as well as design and implementation of Agribusiness Investment Climate Surveys;
- 5 years of experience in DC projects;