The general objective of the Revival of Balochistan Water Resources Programme is to contribute to the transition of agriculture and livestock farming systems in Balochistan (Pakistan) achieving lower water intensity and improving environmental and economic sustainability. The overall total budget for the programme is EUR 40000 000.
The programme will be implemented through two separate implementing contracts working closely together under a project steering committee.
The technical assistance provided through this service contract will contribute to these three project’s specific objectives:
- Strengthened governance of water resources and Rangelands;
- Alternative agricultural and livestock farming systems developed based on low water agro-economy, including agronomic practices leading to groundwater replenishment;
- Increased availability of qualified agro-technology cadres able to integrate and provide on- farm technical know-how and climate-relevant advise to farmers
The purposes of this contract are as follows:
- To strengthen governance of water resources and rangelands in Balochistan.
- To develop alternative agricultural and livestock farming systems based on low water agro-economy, including agronomic practices leading to groundwater replenishment.
- To increase availability of qualified agro-technology cadres able to integrate and provide on-farm technical know-how and climate-relevant advise to farmers.
The direct involvement in specific result areas will depend upon his/her experience and will be defined in the Organisation & Methodology to be proposed by the Contractor. S/He shall be based in Quetta. The minimum percentage of time that the Key expert 3 should work in the partner country is 85 %.
Qualifications and skills
- A Bachelor degree, or equivalent, in agronomy or a directly related discipline (MR).
- Post graduate studies (Master degree) or PhD in natural resources management, agronomy, or related field (PR).
- Full working knowledge of English and excellent report writing skills (MR).
General professional experience
- At least 5 years' professional experience relevant to the post (MR).
- At least 5 years' professional experience in low or lower-middle income countries (MR).
For these two above mandatory requirements, the references submitted can fall – if relevant – within the same period or overlapping periods (candidates don’t need to demonstrate 10 years of cumulative experience corresponding to the two MRs).
- At least one experience in participatory natural resource management projects. Additional years of such experience will be taken into consideration in the evaluation of the candidate.
- Professional experience in support to public extension services (PR).
- Professional experience in volatile environments (PR).
- Experience of EU programmes, especially in the implementation of these programmes, is an advantage though not considered essential (PR).
Specific professional experience
The specific professional experiences presented by the candidates can fall, if relevant, within the same period covered by the general professional experience.
- Experience in implementing at least 2 different programmes related to agronomic research in developing countries (MR).
- Experience in policy development and policy implementation in a field related to natural resource management (PR).
- Experience in supporting public extension services (PR).
- Experience in the Monitoring and Evaluation of the impact of natural resource management programmes and policies (PR).
The Technical Assistance Team will be based in Quetta, with frequent field trips for all experts to the different districts of the Balochistan Province and to Islamabad.
Start date & period of implementation
The intended start date is 1st April 2022, and the period of implementation of the contract will be 48 months from this date.